Site Director: Ben Winkes, MD
Program Administrator: Gloria Guzman, BA, C-TAGME
Positions Available per Year: 2
The Sea Mar Marysville Family Medicine Residency program established a Rural Pathway in 2024 with Dr. Ben Winkes as the Site Director. This training experience is for mission-oriented residents who are interested in providing health care to the underserved in rural settings. The pathway is a part of the Marysville residency but has its own curriculum. There are two residency positions each year in the Rural Pathway.
During the first year of training, the interns’ rotations and continuity clinics will be based in Snohomish County like the other residents in the Marysville residency. Inpatient rotations intern year will primarily be based out of Providence Regional Medical Center Everett. They will spend their latter two years in Skagit County. Senior Residents in our Rural Pathway will see patients in the Sea Mar Mt. Vernon and Sea Mar Concrete Medical Clinics, working alongside and being educated by experienced family physicians. We are partnering with Skagit Regional Health to provide a well-rounded inpatient training experience, including adult medicine and obstetrics. Our residents will be trained to assess the needs of their community and provide best practice medical care within a community health center framework.
Some of the distinctive experiences we offer our Rural Pathway residents include:
· Community Medicine rotation exploring the community services in Skagit County PGY2.
· Outpatient Surgery rotation at Providence Everett Medical Center PGY1.
· Ortho/Sports Medicine rotation with Sea Mar and the Everett Clinic PGY1.
· A month-long Orientation rotation at the beginning of PGY1.
· Behavioral Health rotation with a variety of Sea Mar psychiatric providers PGY2.
· Three electives PGY2 and three electives PGY3.